Thursday, March 24, 2011

Getting on the Bike

I decided to start a blog mostly because I want a way to share my interests with whomever cares to read about them, so here goes...

I was a runner for almost 30 years.  There were some periods of my life where I didn't run, sometimes for many months, but mostly Iran pretty regularly.  It made me feel good, it was a somewhat solitary time that gave me some time for contemplation, and it kept me fit.  I started running by trying out for the cross-country team in high school, mostly because I wanted to get in shape for a ski team I hoped to join (but never did - too expensive), but also because I sucked at football! ;>)

At some point about five years ago, my left knee started to rebel.  I could run only a mile or so before it really hurt.  It feels like a tear of a tendon on the inside of my knee, but it only bothers me when I run.  I have never really pursued a full medical investigation of the issue, but I guess that it just didn't seem that important in the scheme of my life.  I've been busy with, and sharing the raising of a teenager whom I dearly love, but who has required a lot of my time and resources, so finding time for a suitable replacement for the positive things that running has given me has been both a challenge and a low priority. 

My son is now in a place in his life where things are pretty good, and I am in a stable relationship with a wonderful woman, and my career as a community college auto instructor is a good as I could ever hope for.  In other words, now is a good time for me to make some time for the benefits of fitness again.

In the past, I have occasionally done a bit of bike riding.  The town of Davis, where I live, features flat terrain, and it is a self-proclaimed "Bicycle Capital of the World," so getting on a bike for a pleasure ride is not uncommon.  I ride a few miles down a bike path on Russell Ave, turn around, come back.  I have seen a lot of others who seem a lot more serious about their cycling than I, all dressed in lycra shorts and colorful jerseys, with helmets, many of them riding quickly, and riding to places I don't know about.

On day last year I was talking to my neighbor, a somewhat more-experienced rider who rode out towards Winters, about 12 miles away.  He invited me out for some morning rides, and I really enjoyed them. This motivated me to buy some riding shorts, clipless pedals and shoes, helmet and jersey.  I began to ride a few times solo to Winters and back (25 miles!), and it was a lot of fun.  My rear hurt, however, so a went to my local bike shop (aka LBS) and got a nice saddle (not a seat) fitted, and that improved my comfort level a lot!

I probably rode about 200 miles or so last summer.  I had free time, and riding in warm weather is much easier to do than running.  I don't get covered with sweat, and the warm air does a lot to help me feel good. It does, however, take a lot more riding time to get an equivalent amount of a workout when compared to running. That seemed a real disadvantage, as I don't have time to do this, what with other activities and responsibilities on my plate.  Besides, when the autumn chill came, I got busier with school, and it seemed too cold to continue.

By winter of this year, I had gained more weight, and I didn't really feel that good.  I asked for, and received, some winter cycling gear.  It wasn't exactly a New Year's resolution, but I had to do something to feel better.  The idea of riding by myself when it was cold (mid-40s) didn't appeal much to me.  I looked on the web for the Davis Bike Club for membership and ride info:
http://davisbikeclub.org/

What I didn't want to do was find a bunch of 20-something guys who ride 60 miles a day at 24 mph pace.  What I did find was a "climbing group" whose objective was to take recreational cyclists who want to learn gradually how to do climbing, with a goal to climb up almost 4000 ft Mt. Diablo at the end of 8 weeks.  I emailed Deb Ford, the climbing group leader, and she was very encouraging.  I joined the DBC, and met up the next Sunday in Winters for my first ride with a group, and a chance to meet people with similar interests.

I had an absolute blast!  There were all types of riders, from rabbits to turtles, and mostly ordinary-looking folks who, like me, just enjoy riding bikes.  I knew no one when I showed up, and I made more acquaintances than I could remember in a single time. Riders rode a various paces, so I could find a group and stay with them, ride ahead, or fall back.  It was great to find out about all the new routes and places to ride, and they are all very close to home.

On this ride (Jan 23), we rode up Steigler and Cantelow Roads, which are now part of my riding repertoire.  Also, I'm too bad at climbing.  I rode mostly in the middle of the pack (about 40 participants), and I didn't have to work as hard as some riders to get up Cantelow, the steeper of the two climbs. Here is a link to my route:

http://j.mp/hwjFCD



Since that ride, I have been cycling with a vengeance.  I ride often by myself, but once or twice a week I ride with John and Linda, or Dean, or meet people while riding (Ron from nearby Dixon on my way up Cantelow).  
More later, and hopefully some photos to upload, too!

1 comment:

  1. Drew, I enjoyed reading your blog. Glad you have found another great hobby for yourself. Looks like it is rewarding already! :-)

    My neighbor gave me a beach cruiser recently. I'm still working on Zach's confidence on his bike. We are hoping to start enjoying some of the trails around here as a family.

    ttfn,

    Webster

    ReplyDelete